These are the ultimate baked chocolate donuts with an amazing chocolate glaze! The donuts are soft and caky while the glaze is silky and smooth. Add a touch of sea salt and these donuts go to a whole new level of good! Read below for the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
How to Make the Best Baked Chocolate Donuts
If you want to know how to make the best baked chocolate donuts, then you have come to the right place! No mixer is required for this recipe, and it takes all of 5 minutes to make the batter. Sounds good so far, right?
To make the best chocolate donuts, we use a good balance of liquid to dry ingredients so that the donuts are nice and caky. We also use leavener and an egg to give these donuts the lift they need.
In addition, the oven temperature needs to be just right so that they bake perfectly. Lucky for you I already figured out all of these things so that you can have the ultimate baked chocolate donut at home.
We top it all off with a silk chocolate glaze that consists of chocolate, milk, and butter, and it is sooo yummy!
Do I Need a Special Pan for Baked Donuts?
Yes you do! Because the batter is more on the runny side, you can’t roll and cut these donuts. Honestly, this recipe is way less time consuming and easier than a cut and bake donut if you ask me. For these baked chocolate donuts, I use these pans because they work perfectly every time.
How to Make the Perfect Chocolate Glaze
This chocolate glaze is so simple, but the trick is to use a couple of tablespoons of butter to give it that beautiful chocolate shine.
To make this glaze, melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave or over a double boiler. Add the milk and whisk until it’s silky and smooth.
This glaze will start to set up as it cools, so if it cools before you are ready to dip the donuts, then warm it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to get it to a nice dipping consistency again.
Essential Baking Tools
- These donut pans
- Or these pans if you want to make standard sized donuts
- A couple of spatulas for mixing the batter and the glaze
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Raspberry Stuffed French Toast
- Insanely Good Belgian Waffles
- Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- The Best Sour Cream Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch processed
- 1/2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
For the Chocolate Glaze
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs whole milk
- Flaked sea salt or chocolate springs (both optional)
For the Baked Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- Gently beat the eggs with a fork to break up the yolks, then combine with the Greek yogurt, melted butter, vanilla, and bittersweet chocolate. Add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently stir with a spatula just until combined. If you continue to mix the batter longer than is needed, the donuts will not be as soft!
- Lightly grease the donut pan and spoon or pipe batter into molds 1/3 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted.
- Let donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then flip onto a cooling rack.
For the Chocolate Glaze
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted chocolate chips and milk and either microwave at 30 second increments, or place the bowl over a double boiler until ingredients melt. If you are using a double boiler, stir occasionally to make sure the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Add the milk and whisk until chocolate glaze is smooth.
- Dip donuts in the glaze and let them dry on the cooling rack. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles or flaked sea salt if desired.
Keywords: baked chocolate donuts, chocolate glaze