- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup milk, very hot
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs water, very hot
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
For the Dough
- Combine all dry ingredients and egg yolk in mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Heat milk and water in microwave for one minute or until very hot. It doesn’t need to boil, but it should be very hot to the touch.
- Turn mixer onto medium speed and pour liquid into mixer. If dough still seems dry, add a little more water until dough seems just slightly sticky and soft.
- Mix dough on medium-high speed for 5 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to bring dough into a smooth ball. Shape dough into a rectangle and beginning rolling with a floured rolling pin.
- Roll the dough into a 12 x 18 inch rectangle.
For the Cinnamon Roll Filling
- Stir softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Mix with hands or with a hand mixer if ingredients aren’t coming together with a spoon.
- Spread filling over the 12 x 18 rectangle, leaving a 1/2 inch border of dough on all sides.
- Starting with the short end(12 inch end), roll the dough evenly until you have a cinnamon roll log. This means that the log will be 12 inches long, not 18 inches.
- Cut the log into 2 inch slices with a serrated knife so that there are 6 cinnamon rolls.
- Line an 8 x 11 inch pan (or 9×9 or 9 -10 inch cake pan) with parchment if desired. If you aren’t using parchment, spray pan lightly with nonstick spray.
- Place rolls in pan and cover with a towel. Let rolls raise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, uncover rolls, and bake for 20-25 minutes. Rolls will be golden brown on top with finished.
- Let rolls cool in pan for 15 minutes and prepare the cream cheese icing.
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream softened butter and cream cheese together with a hand mixer. Add vanilla and pinch of salt and mix.
- Add powdered sugar and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes to incorporate air into the icing so it is lighter.
- Spread icing over cinnamon rolls and enjoy! Refrigerate leftover cinnamon rolls if there are any. Warm cinnamon rolls in the microwave for 15-20 seconds if they have been in the fridge.
This is a Baker Street Society original recipe.
Keywords: easy homemade cinnamon rolls, cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing