These chocolate chip blondies take traditional blondies from good to great! Not only are they delicious, but there is no oil in these babies. They get a makeover with the addition of Greek yogurt, and they are so moist and chewy. Just as a blondie should be!
What is a Chocolate Chip Blondie?
A chocolate chip blondie is like a brownie, but it does not contain cocoa powder. Instead, blondies have brown sugar. And in this case, chocolate chips!
Traditional chocolate chip blondies, also known as congo cookies, call for oil. This is very similar to a traditional brownie recipe. I’ll tell you a secret though- I don’t really like to use oil in my recipes! Sometimes I use a little oil, such as in my insanely good Belgian waffles, but you will not find too many desserts or recipes with oil. And if a recipe calls for oil, I cut some of it out and find other substitutes when I can!
I think there are a lot of other great options that provide the moisture and texture needed. In this recipe, I use good quality unsalted butter and vanilla Greek yogurt, and boy do they make these blondies delicious!
Unlike regular brownies that need to be mixed by hand, these chocolate chip blondies are mixed in a stand mixer using the creaming method. The texture is chewy and soft, just like the texture of a brownie.
How do You Make Chocolate Chip Blondies?
- Cream the butter, yogurt, and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Add all dry ingredients, including the chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased and floured 9×9 pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
- Sounds easy, right? Well it is!
What do I Need to Make These Delicious Blondies?
I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. See my disclosure here.Print
For the Chocolate Chip Blondies (Congo Bars)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 Tbs vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 3/4 cup light brown sugar (11 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
To Make Chocolate Chip Blondies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×9 inch pan.
- Cream butter, brown sugar, and Greek yogurt in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix; the batter will be thin and runny.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Mix on low speed until the ingredients come together. Do not continue to mix. The blondie batter will be very sticky and thinner like brownie batter.
- Pour batter into pan and spread into corners and sides with a spatula until the batter fills most of the space in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. The middle will be lighter in color. For a fudgier blondie, bake close to 20 minutes so that it’s not quite as set.
- Let cool entirely before cutting. Cut into 12 – 16 bars and store in an airtight container…if they last long enough to need storing!
This is a Baker Street Society original recipe.
Keywords: chocolate chip blondies, congo bars