Flavor and Texture Profile: It doesn’t get much better than dreamy chocolate cake soaked with salted caramel sauce. Top it all off with toffee pieces, fresh whipped cream, and more homemade caramel sauce, and this cake really might be better than anything!
What is Better than Anything Cake?
Better than Anything Cake is also known as Better than Sex Cake. This dessert consists of chocolate cake, caramel sauce, sweetened condensed milk, toffee, and whipped cream. This cake is a classic and has made its appearance at many a party. Unlike the box cake recipe, however, the Baker Street version is totally from scratch and takes this cake to a new level of luscious goodness!
My first memory of this cake goes back to high school. I made it for one of my classes in school (the box version back then), and everyone loved it. Everyone also thought it was super funny to say Better than Sex cake. Luckily we aren’t in high school anymore, and this new version is even better than the original!
Baker Street Breakdown
- While it is easy to use the box mix, the homemade version is worth the extra 10 minutes it takes. In the end, it’s just 10 minutes, not an extra hour to make it from scratch!
- Be sure to grease a 9 x 13 cake pan with butter and flour. It’s not necessary to grease the pan all the way to the top. Just halfway up the sides will do for this cake.
- Make the salted caramel sauce before making the cake or while the cake cools. The sauce comes together in about 15-20 minutes, but the caramel needs to cool for about 30 minutes so it’s not scorching hot.
- If you are in a pinch, you can use store bought caramel sauce. It isn’t quite as delicious, but it will still work.
- While the original recipe calls for Cool Whip, I think it’s really important to know what you are putting in your body. There is nothing natural about Cool Whip. Fresh whipped cream, however, is made from heavy cream and sugar. It is simple, delicious, and you know exactly what you are eating. The quality of your cake will improve instantly just by making the switch to real whipped cream.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks so that it holds up and won’t become runny over time.
- Using Heath toffee bits is perfectly acceptable for this recipe, but I like to use real toffee if I have some on hand. If you are able to use or make some good toffee, then it will just add more “wow” factor to your cake.
Better than Anything Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 20–24 servings 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder (Ghiradelli is best)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 recipe Salted Caramel Sauce (can leave salt out if desired)
- 8 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (for frosting)
- 1/4 cup sugar (for frosting)
- 1 cup toffee bits
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until blended together.
- Add milk, eggs, and sour cream and mix on medium low just until ingredients come together.
- Add boiling water and mix briefly.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 13 baking pan that has been coated with butter and flour. Bake for 25-35 minutes. Test cake by poking cake with a toothpick in the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is does. If the toothpick is gooey, add a few more minutes and check again.
- Allow cake to cool completely and poke small holes all over the cake.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk and 3/4 of the caramel into a small pot and warm until sauce is thin. Do not simmer or boil, but allow the sauce to warm up.
- Pour sauce over cake and smooth over with a spoon so the sauce goes into all of the little holes.
- Generously sprinkle toffee bits on the cake.
- Whip the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the cake.
- Sprinkle with more toffee bits and drizzle remaining caramel over the cake. If caramel is too firm, warm in microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften it. It should drizzle easily over the cake.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.
This is a Baker Street recipe original.
Keywords: better than sex cake, better than anything cake, chocolate caramel toffee cake. chocolate cake