These funfetti cupakes are so fun, delicious, and nostalgic! And don’t worry, they are sooo easy to make. Because something this nostalgic should be easy and delicious, not difficult and time intensive!
What are Funfetti Cupcakes?
Funfetti cupcakes are white cupcakes that have fun and colorful sprinkles. While we could make these from scratch, part of the nostaglia (for those of us who used to eat rainbow chip frosting and cupcakes) is using a box cake mix.
How to Make Better than Box Mix Cupcakes
- For starters, buy Duncan Hines white cake mix for this recipe. Every brand of cake mix is different, so the results won’t be the same if you use another brand.
- White cupcakes tend to be overly fluffy and fall apart easily. To make these funfetti cupcakes more substantial, we add sour cream and vanilla instant pudding mix. The result? A cupcake that is soft and fluffy but slightly cream too!
How to Make Funfetti Buttercream Frosting
For these fun cupcakes, we use the most amazing buttercream frosting! It’s always easy and delicious. As a side note, you can leave out the 2 ounces of cream cheese if you want a truly traditional buttercream frosting recipe.
Essential Baking Tools for These Cupcakes
- Regular sized cupcake pan
- Decorating Tip and piping bags
- Cupcake Liners
- For the sprinkles, you can use basic sprinkles from the grocery store, or get something really fun if it’s for a special occasion. The amount of sprinkles you add is completely up to you. It won’t affect the recipe unless you add copious amounts:)
Other Recipes You’ll Love:Print
Funfetti Cupcakes (Better than Box Cupcakes)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1/2 Tbs vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- Funfetti sprinkles
- 1 recipe buttercream frosting (leave out the cream cheese if desired)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and put liners in cupcake pans.
- Combine all cake ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
- Scrape sides of bowl and then mix for 2 more minutes on medium-high.
- Fold in as many sprinkles as you desire, and then fill cupcake liners half full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 14-17 minutes or until tops are light golden. When the cupcakes are done, they will also spring back when you touch them.
- Remove cupcakes from oven, turn them out onto a cooling rack, and let cool.
- Frost with buttercream frosting, top with more funfetti sprinkles, and enjoy!
Keywords: funfetti cupcakes, white cupcakes, better than box cake, better than box cupcakes