- Roughly chop chocolate, place in a medium size bowl, and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Set aside.
- Boil 1/4 cup of water, then stir in the cocoa powder and vanilla. Stir the cocoa powder mixture into the melted chocolate until combined.
- Whip heavy cream, sugar, and salt to soft peaks. Add 1/4 of the whipped cream to the chocolate and stir to lighten the chocolate.
- Add the rest of the whipped cream and use a spatula to gently fold it into the chocolate. Fold by placing your spatula in the center of the bowl, scooping it under a quarter of the chocolate and whipping cream, and then bring the spatula up and over to the top of the mousse. Repeat this in quarter turns until all of the whipping cream is mixed in.
- Pour chocolate mousse into serving cups or chocolate tea cups as shown above. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Chocolate mousse stays good for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Note- this recipe makes 2 cups of chocolate mousse, which easily feeds 4-6 people, and even 8 if needed.
Keywords: chocolate mousse, mousse au chocolat, french chocolate mousse recipe